Wednesday, January 20, 2016

South to Savannah

On the way to Savannah, I dove into one of our travel books and found some attractions "not to miss".  This place is one of them: South of The Border.  This is a cheesy touristy place you simply cannot drive by.  You would have to be in a coma to miss the multiple billboards lining the highway for miles before the turn off, diverting you to this iconic gem of a tourist trap. Everything is loud, colorful, crazy and makes you smile and laugh out loud.  We only stopped for an hour but we had a good laugh and bought "Hula Girl" for the dash in Blanca and also one for Emma.  The place has been around for decades and is a real landmark in Dillon, SC.  If you're ever out that way, stop in.  It's a hoot!  

pic of south of the border .... dog with Z and I

On to Savannah, where we checked into a nice hotel and ordered Indian take-out.  It feels good to stop and stretch all our eight legs. It feels even better to be back in Savannah.

After a good night's sleep we headed into the city and walked around the historic district and down by the river.  Zuma made friends with other dogs and we chatted with their owners and exchanged business cards.  It was warm and sunny and there weren't too many tourists on the cobblestone streets.  The same street musicians are still performing along River Street, same songs.  It all feels so familiar and friendly.  Savannah is nicknamed "Slowvannah" by the locals because of the casual style of the people.  I bee-lined it to a fave local Greek restaurant and bought some tzadziki and pita to go, perfect for dinner; when we stayed in a loft apartment here a few years ago this was my "go-to" place. BEST.TZADZIKI.EVER!

In the evening we searched on our computers for a long-term rental hotel for Zuma and I as Doug has to return to work this week and it's still too cold to stay overnight in Blanca.  There was very little in the way of pet-friendly hotels near the downtown area, so we decided to head out to Tybee Island and look around at campsites and possibly cottages to rent for a week or two.  We love Savannah and the area and have lots yet to explore so we want to stay here for two to three weeks.  I don't believe in going on a trip and racing through 8 countries in 9 days.  How people do that I will never understand.  Got a postcard, back on the bus.  Sigh.  It's so nice to stop and get to know the place and meet the people.  



Lisa at The Tybee Tourist Info Center was very friendly and helpful.  She gave us a list of places available and we chose Mermaid Cottages, a cottage rental company.  FANTASTIC!  





We looked at a few places and chose a darling little cottage circa 1940) by the marsh, its called The Crabby Pirate.  It's clean, nicely decorated and welcoing.  Plus it has 3 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths so we can chill out here until the end of the month and prepare for the next leg of the journey.

We will head onwards to Florida; Doug has wanted to go to St. Augustine, Florida for a long time so that will be our next destination.  It's really a treat to unload the van, thin out, get reorganized.  It's pretty cramped but it works and it's fun.  Between Blanca and Zuma, it's impossible to go anywhere without someone talking to us about one or the other.  I could have sold the van ten times or more.  




You know how antisocial  shy and private I can be, this is waaaay out of my comfort zone but it's good for me to leave "Hermit Mode".  Which is why I am doing this.  Well, that's one of the many reasons I'm chucking myself out there.  I need this.  

Before I left Maine, I called my nearest and dearest to tell ya'll that I'm launching off on this "walkabout" with Zuma, planning on writing a book about our travels and, for the first time, writing a blog.  It's all a learning experience and I love it.  Sadly, when I called my brother-in-law Dave in Ontario (he has Alzheimer's) we had a nice chat and then I heard him tell the nurse in his room:  "I have no idea who this woman is on the 'phone".  The nurse was kindly and took the 'phone and explained this happens and that his health is declining.  Dave and I talk once a week or once every other week.  Later, I called back and he knew me and it was like old times.  One thing I know for certain, I am glad that Doug, Zuma and I are able to do this trip while we are still healthy and able.  I am forever grateful.




  


2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your blog. You will love St. Augustine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savannah has always been one of our favorite stops. Have a great 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete