Saturday, April 15, 2017

Angry Birds? How About Angry Bees?

April 15th, 2017.



A few days ago when we were sitting outside at the picnic table, minding our own business, we noticed a few ginormous bumblebee types hovering around us.  Zipping back and forth, a lot too close really, but I'm okay with that because I love bees and my home garden is filled with plants to attract them so bees don't bother me. And I know not to bother them.  



For a couple of days, these ginormous bumblebee types zzzed by us and I ignored them.  They are like Bumblebees on Crack.  But we were all respecting each other's space.  Until two of them became assertive the other night and were dive-bombing me, as if for sport. The gigantic bees came closer as if chasing me inside. Suddenly, Zuma had two biggies hovering around her and, in true dog fashion, she snapped at them, resulting in two large stings on her nose.  It was her Birthday.  What a bummer.  



She slowly and humbly retreated to the steps of the RV and gave the door 'The Look' and then gave me 'The Look' (because she thought I had caused it) and I knew it was time for her to go inside. However, as I was juggling the dog and the stairs, the bees were getting more than assertive, they were becoming downright aggressive.  Of all the years of gardening and dealing with bees, my garden bee visitors have been ones I'd invite back forever.  Not these bees.  They're mean.  They're angry bees.

Climbing the big three steps into the RV and struggling to get a dog (who had suddenly decided to turn into the lower half of a newborn giraffe) into the camper was a challenge.  I resorted to spraying 'a barrier' of my vinegar/water spray just to delay things so I could just get Zu inside, tackling the top step with the door that opens into you... yah.  Challenging.  Lots of arm flapping.  I didn't want to harm the bees but they had already stung Zu and she was feelin' it so, of course, I'm gonna get her outta the mix.

Wellll, the bees got very upset about the barrier spray and within a minute they had gone back to base camp and recruited some friends and now they were all after us.  Seriously, it was like a Hitchcock movie.  Not a swarm, but close.  8 - 10 very big very angry bees. And more coming. Somehow I managed to get Zu inside safely. Re-apply deodorant.  I am not good with buzzing bug drama.


We don't have any bug killer sprays on hand so I called Missi and she sent someone over to see what they could do.  It turns out (I am told) these are Carpenter Bees.  You will never find their nest. They are elusive.  And 'they like to chase people'.  As soon as I heard this I backed off from using any form of chemical (vinegar and water) warfare.  They're just out there doin' their thing and the rest of us just have to chill out.  Don't bother them, they don't bother you.  They are beautiful insects and although not known to sting, they are super territorial and scare most people.  I'm getting used to them now that I know they're just messing with me, seeking the chase.  Sorry, Carpenter Bees, I'm just too busy doin other stuff ....



No comments:

Post a Comment