Thursday, May 4, 2017

Billy Scribbles

April 23, 2017.


Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg
  
When we were living in Savannah we were told by many travelers "You have to go to Asheville, NC, you'll love the energy and the Buskers".  So we went.  'Cuz I'm all about energy.  We couldn't get here fast enough.  We were here an hour and I said, "We need to live here". 

Over a year later, we're still keeping Asheville as our 'home base'. We've been searching for a small house to make it our "Winter home" but we haven't found one.  So we'll be back in the Fall and try again.  Music and art makes the city.  

Totally by coincidence, I meet up with a lot of writers.
Writing compares to:  "Take all your clothes off and expose everything and expect people to give you money", one writer told me.  Yep.  That about sums it up.
I may have to take up the banjo. The tips would likely be better, lol.

Writing is about exposing your soul and it's frightening and scary and you have to have a thick skin.  
But some stories need to be shared so you just go for it.

Which brings me to writing about great souls we've met on our journey.   Which inspires me to write about Billy Scribbles.  He has SOUL.  He wrote a book that Doug found on Amazon (only place you can buy it, ya'll, and I highly recommend it, limited edition so don't miss out).  He shoots from the hip and someone told him "you write how I think" and I wish I coulda told him that first 'cuz I feel exactly the same way.

Billy is a really cool guy.  His real name is Brendan Brown.  Doug sent me a copy of his book, GAS STATION TALES and I unwrapped the parcel and plunked down at the picnic table one afternoon and read the whole book in one sitting, laffing out loud as the neighbors asked me, "WHAT are you reading?" and I lent two fellow glampers the book and they loved it too.  The book is small, an easy-going read and I guarantee you will laff out loud.  

So.  I HAD to meet Billy Scribbles (his pen name) before we leave Asheville and have him sign my copy of his book.  Oh My Gawd.  I felt like an aging 'groupie' trying to track him down in the city.  But I had to meet his guy.  Finally, two days ago, we met him and his lovely partner, Katie in front of Woolworth's and he graciously signed my book and we pretty much dragged them off for a drink at a local bar and had a really super visit with them.  Before he becomes a star on Oprah's Book Club List.  Oprah, take note.

Billy Scribbles (Brendan Brown is his real name) is handsome, sweet and super humble.  He and Katie are just a delight and we invited them to come to Maine and hang out at the farm and we hope they do and we hope he'll play locally.  I'll definitely blog about it because mid-coast Maine is in for a real treat.    

A year ago, I wrote a blog about the Asheville Buskers and the group he plays in ("Ain't Nothin' Much").  

May 19, 2016 Blog:  Buskers and Biscuits and Gravy.
That's Billy playing in the 7th pic, on the right.

FYI, Real "Buskers" are street musicians .... with class.  And soul.  They play for tips and they make people smile and get all warm and fuzzy.  Billy plays the banjo, harmonica, the spoons and the guitar. He will tell you he's not that great but he IS.  He's just so humble. 

I hope you check him out on FB.  I hope you buy Gas Station Tales.  And I hope you snort tea out of your nose like a goofball as I did when I read it and made a scene at the RV Park.  It's been a long time since I read a book that is so honest, raw and genuinely kind about the crazy people who frequent the night shift's routine in a haunted gas station.  And Billy didn't even have to take his clothes off and expect people to give him money when he wrote Gas Station Tales.  He's the real deal.  We need a good belly laff at this challenging time in America.  He has another book coming out in June, about how he crossed this country on $64.00 busking his way across America.  Stay Tuned!

People with soul.  Rare.  They make the world a better place.       

View more blog posts for more fun people at 
ON THE ROAD WITH ZUMA!

    
#billyscribbles #ashevillebuskers #ain'tnothinmuch #ontheroadwithzuma #mountainmusic #gasstationtales #travelingwithagreatdanedog #peoplewithsoul #americaneedsagoodbellylaff #buskingacrossAmerica #makingtheworldabetterplace


No comments:

Post a Comment